Wednesday, February 5, 2014

5th Week in South Africa

Greetings Family and Friends,

This is a short blog! You are probably saying, 'finally!' I am heading to Krueger National Park for a Safari this Friday and will return on Tuesday morning. I am excited for my mini-vacation (I will miss 2 days with the kids) but after watching National Geographic's African films for a b-zillion years this is my treat to myself.

Three of us are flying from Capetown to Johannesberg and will be met by our guide. She will take us to Krueger and am told there will be some great stops along the way. I went to my first live SA jazz band gathering Friday night at a local cafe and so enjoyed their music. Hope I can find a few more before I leave...time seems to be flying right now despite the fact I will be here  3 1/2  more weeks.

I am working at a new school this week. I am reviewing the curriculum for sustainability and working one-on-one with some children who are a little more advanced than the kids at Christian David School. I guess my big news is I have decided to sponsor a 14 year old who is struggling to stay in school because he cannot afford the books, uniforms and shoes. His name is Enriquo and he is very quiet. I am currently looking for a soccer team for him to join to keep him busy after school. I will go to his school next week to set up a bank account to fund him. He is one of the grandson's Anne (parenting grandmother) is raising, however, his father has insisted he move back with him and so he is kind of floating back and forth and not really being supported consistently.

I went and visited his father in the township to make sure this was okay with him. It was and Enrique literally ran to get me a copy of his birth certificate so I could work directly with his school. So, I know this means a lot to him, and quite honestly to me.

Well, that is it until I return from my safari...here is a young student I had today who loves colors...it took him an hour to color a beach ball...it looked like 3 rainbows in one. Smiles and hugs, Mom/Gram/etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment