Thursday, January 30, 2014

Week Four in South Africa

Hi Family and Friends,

What a busy week! I hardly know where to begin. So, I shall begin with last Sunday when 5 roommates and I went to Cape Point. I am not sure why, but the blending of the Atlantic and Indian oceans was something I wanted to see and experience. It did not disappoint!! The beauty, the wind, the sun, the water and Earth merged creating an uplifting vortex of energy, that I will always remember.

Cape Point Where Oceans Merge
Didn't quite make it to the top but farther than I thought :)

We had lunch in a place called Kalk Bay, a very provincial little town and found a place right on the ocean. The sea gulls here are huge and loud.. I had an Indian meal in South Africa that was quite delicious and lots of laughs.

I know your saying, "it does not look that big!!"
A view from the train
It was good to relax Sunday because this week was 6 hour days. I am assigned to a 3rd grade class and all the kids now call me 'grandma.' The teacher has left me alone with the class a couple of times and I have had to use my "HEY!" voice a few times! They were shocked to hear me and see me looking stern and I wanted to laugh but that is what it took for me to get them from under their desks, a couple fists were flying and froze in place, and rulers (used also as weapons) all were put down ;)

We proceeded to read a story in English and I silently prayed for the teachers return cuz I figured I had about 30 seconds of their attention. When she did not return, I decided to move into a version of "Simon Says," using their readers and that seemed to do the trick. I learned quickly every child on the planet likes to have fun regardless of their circumstances. But teachers are so very strict here, it is hard to know what latitude I have....but surely an intact class would be more welcoming to her than one over run by chaos!!

I was not able to go to the 3rd grade class on Tuesday as they were being evaluated, so I was asked to help start a high school tutoring program in the library at the Capricorn township.(Certainly more than a one day assignment...hmmm!) This is the township were most of the children live and they have a very long walk to and from school. Their homes leave me at a loss for words....
The library in Capricorn Township






"High fives" for Grandma



Wednesday I went to the township and met the non-profit that will carry the high school tutoring program forward. I also talked with the grandmother raising her 4 teenage grandsons and her great-granddaughter.  We worked on ensuring the 3 teenagers' school would be paid for through 2014. Only about 5% of the teens graduate high school here. Yet, I can see they want to, but they receive very little support at home. When I visited Anna, her 17 year old son was sitting next to her doing his homework...not a frequent site in this township. Western Cape Town, where I am at has a 30% unemployment rate and in the  last 17 days there have been 16 people killed.

Just in case any of you are wondering how I get around here, please know I am never alone and I am always driven by an elder gentleman named Karol who is known to everyone. (My street gang experience a b-zillion years ago, is coming in handy here!!

Yesterday, we found out the head of the Program resigned and is returning to England. She is a young woman with a heart of gold and very talented, so it is a big loss bumming everyone out! We are not sure why the abrupt decision but she leaves this Sunday. We are awaiting some feedback, but enough structure is in place right now for the volunteers to  be able to follow a plan and move forward.

Our house is undergoing big changes this weekend. 4 women leave and a 5th leaves on Wednesday...so half of the house will be new by mid-next week. I have gotten quite close to the four of them, so I will miss my young pals. One of them lives in Chicago, so I know I will see her moving forward; two live in New York City and one found a boyfriend north of Johannesberg and will move up their.

One could write quite the Danielle Steele novel with some of the relationship dramas here with the younger volunteers. On the other end of the continuum, however, there are many young people whose hearts could not be bigger and they are fantastic with the kids, and stay out of the dramas. My placement I am convinced was chosen by my angels...relatively drama free, and we have all grown close and good-byes will be hard.


The Dreams to Reality Program brought in an internationally famous Cricket Player that caused my pal Charles (below) to have what seemed like an 'out of body experience' when he shook J.P. Duminy's hand. It was great for me to hear and see how this well known athlete talked with these kids and teens. How much they admire him, as he grew up and out of a township! Goosebumps!

Well, I plan a slow, relaxing weekend with maybe a drive to the Cape of Good Hope (via taxi...I have not ad will not be renting any cars) after the 4 roommates have left. I have met some incredible children this week, and despite their difficult backgrounds carry so much light in their eyes. So know, all your support and encouragement has allowed me to bring some smiles to little faces.....much love, Mom/Gram, etc.
Charles




Add caption
JP Duminy




No comments:

Post a Comment