Wednesday, February 12, 2014

My Sixth Week in South Africa

Greetings Family and Friends,

What an incredible time I had on the Safari to Kruger National Park, which included a tour of the Panoramic Route in Northern, South Africa, which is the greenest land I have ever seen. Between the views, animals and good company of my two friends, it could not be improved upon. We saw, what they refer to here as the "big five" and many more wild animals and birds, including eagles. The big five are lions, elephants, rhinos, cheetah and buffalo. This pic of the giraffe just cracks me up, cuz that is exactly what I saw when I glanced up not expecting a giraffe to be staring at us!!

The high school program, which started last Thursday got off to a good orientation and we had 53 students show up for tutoring. Some carried those Ti83 Plus calculators and I realized immediately, this could be 'beyond the beyond' for me! So, I tried to stay away from the math students, but got caught by a raised hand who asked me for help. I just froze and said the best I could do was hit the on/off button! He seemed to have a good sense of humor about it. However, to help my sagging confidence, someone had anatomy questions and I am pleased to say I could help her quite a bit with that!

These students really want to get out of the townships and make something of their lives so they are a real pleasure to work with. The odds are small they will make it to a better life, and that makes working with them even more important. This has been an experience that has exceeded any expectations I could have had.

I want you to know with the money many of you donated, we bought English activity books for the primary school.  In the picture  to the left, you can see my little pal is missing his front teeth and is adorable! :))

It is amazing how much you can buy here with the US dollar. I cannot thank you all enough for your generosity. You have brought to these children a real opportunity to learn to read and do phonics in English  which gives them a better chance of making it in this society.

I just came back from Enrico's school, where I paid off his tuition for the rest of the year and enrolled him in the school outings. Then the program administrator at Dreams to Reality drove me to a shoe store where I bought him a pair of shoes for now, a pair of shoes in his next size, all kinds of school supplies and a pair of soccer shoes.

Saturday morning I will take him to his new soccer team and introduce him to his coach. Enrico is very quiet and timid, but he has the best attitude and I am very happy to know and support him. It is amazing how people come together for a good cause.. a van driver will pick Enrico and myself up and bring me back to the house Saturday morning for free.

SA is an interesting country. People live in considerable fear here...houses have bars and locks and you are warned about everything. As it gets dark, if you are driving in a car, you do NOT have to stop for a red light if you sense any potential danger. There is concern that the current President, who is very weak, is letting a radical group influence the upcoming elections and that there could be civil unrest. Petitions are everywhere, and they don't much care if you are from another country and want to sign one. It is a paradox how immensely beautiful SA is, and how oppressive it is to live here.

I have learned so much during my time here about people, and life in general. One thing for sure, is I see the consequences of ignorance and realize why it is so important to stay involved. I cannot believe I am mid-week into my 6th week and am already starting to have some separation anxiety about leaving. I could remain here for another few months easily, except I have begun to really miss my daughters, grands and friends.

I shall sign off for now and send much love to each of you, Mom/Gram, etc.

1 comment:

  1. Wanna trade off Elaine? This post in particular really hit me! I wish I was there!!! I am grateful for you! Love, Liz E

    ReplyDelete