Friday, January 10, 2014

Greetings from South Africa!

Greetings from South Africa,

I just finished my first full week of volunteering here in Muesenberg which is about 40 minutes south of Capetown and walking distance to the ocean. :) I am so happy to have found this opportunity ... it leaves me humbled and almost anything I do for the children of this township, is so appreciated by them. We have played outside the whole week (4-11) because it continues to be school holiday. I will begin teaching officially next Wednesday and will have my second orientation. I brought the game Twister with me and can't wait to see the kids become noodles!

The children come from horrific backgrounds, and I will save you the details but they respond immediately to a hug and a smile. They have not seen anyone with "silver white" hair and wanted to know how I got it (LOL) They called me 'grandma' almost immediately and I am really happy to be that to them while I am here. They also are very curious how old I am...when I tell them to guess I get 50 or 60, however, one 9 year burst my bubble when he said a '100!!' So clearly there are not a lot of volunteers my age coming through, but the group I am with is quite sympatico, even though they could all be my sons/daughters or even grandkids. They are really a lot of fun...there are 8 of us in two bedrooms. I was assigned an upper bunk but as soon as they saw me, a 25 year old gave up her lower bunk. The accomodations are clean but small so it would be a challenge if there was a sour apple in the group.

It is very hard to see the poverty here and that children must live in such unsafe conditions is appalling. Apartheid is clearly not resolved here, but I keep my focus on the kids and I am very content at the end of the day. Well, that's it for now...I have already put some pictures up on FB for those of you who might be interested. Take good care, Elaine

No comments:

Post a Comment